Vizovice

Historic Sights in the Town of Vrbové » Church of St. Martin

Church of St. Martin


The church situated in the central part of Vrbové on a small mound is the oldest structural monument of the town dating back to the 12th century. It was damaged by fire in 1452 and then then during the Turkish and Tartar invasion in 1599. In the 15th century the church was extended by the northern nave. At the beginning of the 18th century the church was extended by the southern nave.


Currently the Church of St. Martin is a three-nave building with the choir facing east (or south-east). The choir with cylindrical stripping vault with stucco ornamental decoration has a polygonal apse. The northern wall of the choir is decorated with wall paintings of patrons of the youth, St. Dominic Savia and St. Maria Gorretti.


The main and southern transept are are vaulted with cross vaults, the nothern transect is vaulted with cylindrical vault. The northern wall of the main nave is decorated with two wall paintings. One of them represents the Flight of the Holy Family to Egypt. It was commissioned by citizens of Vrbové who moved here from Orava after World War II. The other depicts apostles St. Peter and St. Paul, the patrons of the fillial parish Šípkové.


The choire houses a Neo-Gothic altar from the beginning of the 20th century. A niche with a wooden sculpture of the patron of the cathedral St. Martin, the Bishop and Confessor, is placed in the centre. Iconographic attributes reveal that the statue originally represented St. Augustine. The attribute of St. Martin - a goose - was attached additionally to the saint's feet. Martin hesitated to accept the office of a Bishop and hid among geese, which, however, gave him away by honking. The sides of the altar are decorated by baroque sculptures of St. Peter and St. Paul depicted in the traditional iconographic concept.

 
Copyright Mesto Vrbové
administrátorský prístup