Vizovice

History of the Town

As evidenced by archaeological findings, the area of Vrbové has been populated from time immemorial. The presence of our Slovak ancestors in the urban areas has been documented since the 9th century. The first written mention relating to Vrbové dates from 1113 (villa Po/s/coz). A written record on the village of Holeška situated in the former cadastral area of Vrbové dates from 1262. The first actual mention about Vrbové dates from around 1347. Towards the close of the 14th century it is mentioned in written sources as a townlet (oppidum). Exemption from the payment of toll and tithe (custom) by the emperor Zikmund in 1437 supported its further economic development - Vrbové gradually developed into a regional centre of crafts and trade and maintained this position until the end of the 19th century when it was surpassed by Piešťany.

 

The Turkish and Tartar invasion in 1599 had catastrophic consequences for the town. Vrbové was reduced to ashes, many people were killed, while others were taken captive. The Turks repeated the invasion in 1663, when more than a hundred people from Vrbové and its environs were taken captive.

 

In 1696 the townlet was granted an extension of the fair priviledge by emperor Leopold I.  Since then six annual fairs and from 1829 up to eight fairs were held. The fairs in Vrbové have become legendary. Buyers and sellers from the wide environs used to come here, even from Moravia.

 

Up until the end of the 19th century winegrowing played an important role here. A more significant industrial development occurred in the middle of the 20th century when the textile company Trikota was established, which gradully became the biggest female underwear manufacturer on a nationwide scale. Currently a whole number of companie operate in Vrbové.

 

In 1958 numerous surrounding hamlets separated from Vrbové and the village Prašník came into existence. Thereby the townlet lost 2/3 of its former greater cadastral area.

 

In 1967 the West Slovakian Regional National Committee in Bratislava granted to Vrbové a town status.  Then the House of Culture and the first high-rise block of flats were put to use.  In the 1970s and 1980s extensive housing development took place, as a result of which the town population increased by about a third to the current 6,249 (population census in 2001).

 

 

 
Copyright Mesto Vrbové
administrátorský prístup